Friday, December 6, 2013

Living In France '83-'84


OK, so how did Philiippe and I get jobs at FAUCHON in Paris?

Well, I was working at a Patisserie called P. Baechler in Grenoble every morning before
school(I was studying art  history, French culture, and French), and each day I would
arise at 4:30 and drive from the home of my French family to the bakery.  There, we 
would proof croissants, brush beaten eggs on to plump delicious brioche, and prepare
fruit tartes for the eager customers.  

Philippe and I decided to drive my German sled to Paris for a long Spring Break weekend.
I drove to Vichy and picked him up at the Celestins(City of Water).  We had a great time
at the Pub Saint-Germain and Le Procope(the oldest cafe in the world where coffee was
introduced).  Both are still there.  So, Phil just had to show me something.  We made our
way to the Place de la Madeleine and an amazing window display of viennoiseries(pastries
that got their name from Vienna).  Inside there were exotic fruits that are hand picked for
each customer.  I was impressed.  You name it. they have it.  Serrano hams, foie gras of duck
and goose, smoked salmon from Ireland and so on and so forth.  Unreal!

Phil told me about "stages" which are short term internships in France.  I said, "let's do a
"stage" here."  So we went to see the secretary of Fauchon.  When we asked about a
"stage" she said, "ask him!"  Chef Bertrand was right behind her.  He asked us where we
worked at this time.  I told him P. Baechler.  "C'est pas vrai."  It turns out that the head of
all the laboratory patissier, Chef Bertrand, had his first job with Monsieur Baechler in
Grenoble.  No lie!  "When can you start?"  And the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment